02 January 2009

The Davis Family Cemetery


Visiting the Revolutionary War cemetery was cool, but visiting the Davis Family cemetery was awesome.  I've been reading about these people for years and searching for them in old censuses and other records, but it was something totally different to be standing there at their graves.  It just made them more real to me.   


My great great grandfather, Melton Ervin Davis.




His wife, Trudie Greenway.



Their daughter, my great great aunt, better known simply as Aunt Sadie.  This was one of the first graves I came across and I got chills.  I actually knew Aunt Sadie.  I have very vague memories of visiting her and my older siblings remember her very well.  My brother has a quilt she made for him.  (He was always her favorite.)



My great great great great grandfather, William Godfrey Davis, the Civil War hero.  


His wife, my great great great great grandmother Dicie Williams.  

No comments: