08 January 2009

West View Cemetery



To help us remember where in the cemetery our 
ancestors are located.

I don't know why it never occurred to me to look for and visit the graves of my ancestors before this trip.  I guess I just always thought they were buried somewhere far away.  When we started looking through the Augusta Chronicle for obituaries, we found that pretty much everybody was buried in the West View Cemetery in Augusta, a place I'd never even heard of.  Three of my great grandparents are there.  My great great grandmother is there.  Several great aunts and uncles are there.  

My great grandparents Carlos Hines Price, Sr. and Willie Gertie Davis.  
Willie actually died in 1972 but that info hasn't been added yet.

Ergo, on Sunday afternoon, our last day in Augusta, Marmee, Julie and I decided to visit the cemetery, despite rainy weather.  We drove out to downtown Augusta to the cemetery located on Division Street, passing the apartment complex where my grandparents, Beamous and Mable, lived when my mother was born.


My grandfather's brother, Carlos Hines Price, Jr.,
 a.k.a. Uncle C.H. who was killed in a car accident
when he was 34 years old.

We had no idea where the graves of our family members were located in this enormous cemetery.  Marmee couldn't remember where they were and Granny's memory was reliant upon a bush that had long been cut down.  So, we just started roaming the cemetery streets, scanning the headstones for any familiar names.  It took a while.  A long while.  But finally we located some of the graves we were searching for.  


My grandfather's sister, Jane Price who was 
actually Mrs. Lamar Martin when she died. 


My great great aunt Claudia.  Her daughter Margaret
and my granny were more like sisters than cousins.

Of course, we were not able to locate Annie Cadle, our great grandmother or her mother, Mollie Dunn who are both buried in this cemetery.  And there are several others we couldn't find as well.  Hopefully we will be able to return soon at a time when we can talk to someone at the cemetery office who might be able to assist us.  But for now, we are grateful we were able to find the graves we did.

No comments: